Day 1 ~ Day 2 ~ Day 3 ~ Day 4 ~ Day 5 ~ first playoff (China) ~ playoff vs Korea ~ HOME ~ STATS FOR THE GAME
SEND SUPPORT MESSAGES TO THE TEAM
stories as they come in... First From a parent traveling with the team (omissions in the story are temporary ); then from the Edmonton Sun; from a reporter at the Sun; and from the Official World Series site.More stories as received. (refresh/reload/scroll down..Monday, August 14, 2000 11:27:24 Adelaide time. 7:57 PM Sunday - Edmonton. Current weather Conditions: Cloudy Temperature: 14.5 C Humidity: 69%
AND AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE - PROBABLY THE LAST OF THIS INCIDENT - FROM SUNDAY'S EDMONTON SUN
I agree - there should be something very strong done against the Cubans.
They could quite easily have killed one of our boys today. And they were
The thing about legal action is not so silly .....................
Now we have to face these ................. tomorrow for the bronze medal. They were
beaten tonight by the USA 5-3. They had one player and one coach thrown out
of tonight's game by guess who?? The Australian umpire. Do you think they'll
be out to get us or what???
I hope that common sense will prevail.
Keep you fingers crossed for us,
PS. You also have to question the officials at the tournament. No security,
and knowing what the Cubans are like to let them on the field and enter the
dugout while the Australians were still there seems very stupid. Especially
after we had beaten the Cubans.
From the Edmonton Sunhttp://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSun/front1.html (THIS WAS THE SOURCE BUT THE ARTICLE IS NO LONGER THERE)
August 13, 2000
Basebrawl game 'on'
Tensions flare between Cubans and Aussies at
By SCOTT ZERR -- Staff Writer
A bat-swinging basebrawl between Cuba and Australia erupted
last night at the international baseball tournament in the city.
And the teams weren't even playing each other.
Tournament officials were meeting into today to discuss penalties
but said a game today between the teams will go ahead.
"It's still under investigation," said official Doug Boisvert. "We'll
be working on it through the night."
It's believed the regulators had a video of the clash.
The melee exploded when Cuba players getting ready for the
next game at Telus field tried to get into the Australian dugout,
which that team didn't feel ready to vacate.
Australia, which beat Cuba 5-4 earlier in the tournament, had just
lost a semifinal match with Korea and was taking a customary
cool down when Cuban players, preparing to face the U.S.,
entered the dugout.
Words were exchanged and pushing started before three Cuban
players grabbed aluminum bats and batting helmets and went on a
free-swinging rampage, witnesses allege.
"We're not going to stand there and let them whack our players
so we tried to break it up and that's it - it was on," said Australia
third baseman Scott Wearne.
"They were taking full hacks at them (with the bats). It was the
worst thing I've ever seen and I've been involved in sports for 20
years," said Darren Edgar, a coach for Australia.
Several Australian players rushed to their teammates' aid as the
donnybrook, including members of both coaching staffs,
continued inside the dugout and on the dugout steps.
Cuban journalist Raul Arce said he didn't see who threw the first
"The Australians kept saying the Cubans would get into the
dugout later, later," he said.
"The Australians were very angry because they had lost for the
first time in the tournament."
Tournament chairman Ron Hayter called the beef "a little
"I think some people grabbed baseball bats but I don't think
anyone was hit with one."
At least two Aussies suffered minor injuries in the scuffle and
head coach Trevor Schumm, a native of Spruce Grove, was
bitten on the right hand.
An Australian umpire calling the following game, between Cuba
and the U.S., ejected a coach and a pitcher from the Cuban
The umpire felt the pitcher had deliberately thrown at the batter.
The coach was ejected for arguing the call.
Last week at the opening ceremonies for the tournament Chinese
and Taiwanese fans clashed and at least one punch was thrown
before calm was restored.
Chinese officials had tried to persuade the organizers to ban
Taiwanese flags from games. China does not recognize Taiwan as
a country but treats it as a rebel province.
story included in the Korean game
Why was a Cuban suspended for SWINGING a bat(NOT WAVING IT).....I can not
believe the weak and pandering attitude prevalent by IBAF officials and the
so called press in Edmonton to out and out thuggery by the Cuban team lead
by their officials.......Trevor Schumm should have been commended not
suspended for his actions in protecting his team from harm. I was there.... I took photos(only
the most innocent photo was used by the Edmonton Sun)......this whole thing
will be, and is being swept under the carpet.......why would this guy
contact you......the tournament has been well organised and on whole been a
great experience for every team here(with the obvious exception)..CUBA
should be banned from playing in all junior tournaments......leave them in
AND FROM THE OFFICIAL WORLD SERIES SITE'S FRONT PAGEhttp://www.edmontonbaseball.com/home.htm
PLAYER, COACHES SUSPENDED
The Technical Commission of the International Baseball
suspended the Head
Coaches of the
Cuban and Australian
teams and one Cuban
player as a result of a
skirmish in and near
the first base dugout
on Saturday during
the World Junior AAA
The incident occurred shortly after Australia's loss to
Korea in the semi-finals of the 12-country tournament.
Cuba and the U.S.A. were scheduled to play the next
The Technical Commission, headed by Neil Lantz, of
Indianapolis, Indiana, handed out the suspensions
following a lengthy disciplinary hearing.
Cuban catcher Joanis Delgado was suspended for the
remainder of the tournament on the basis of a bat
swinging incident "for which substantial evidence has
been obtained," according to the official decision.
Schumm of Australia
and Victor Mesa were
also suspended for
the balance of the
violation of Rule 2.00
(b) of the Official
Baseball Rules, Page
20. In essence, for
failure to exercise
proper control over
Tuesday, August 15, 2000
Cuba's basebrawlers in tough Aussies say Castro's ballplayers will get a chilly reception at Olympicshttp://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonNews/es.es-08-15-0008.html
By DAVID CARRIGG, EDMONTON SUN
Cuba's senior baseball team can expect a chilly reception in
Australia next month as word of Edmonton's basebrawl fiasco
spreads Down Under.
"It's big news at home - the baseball community is furious," said
Aussie Tom Robinson, who witnessed last Saturday's
bat-swinging battle between the junior Cuban and Australian
teams at Edmonton's 2000 World Youth AAA Baseball
That means no shrimp on the barbie, no ice-cold Fosters and no
"how ya goin' mate" for Cuban baseball players.
"Cuba's senior team will be in Sydney for the Olympic Games
next month and they won't be too popular," Robinson added.
Bob McMahon, who ran last year's Pan-American Games in
Winnipeg, said the violence could have been prevented if there
were cops at the Edmonton tournament.
"We had police at our games at all times. One time we didn't have
them deployed correctly and an anti-Castro Cuban made it
though the dressing room doors and onto the field," McMahon
said. "He wandered around shouting and was eventually punched
by the Cuban third base coach. Any time there's an international
tournament you need at least a minimal police presence. There are
issues at an international tournament that you don't get on a
provincial level, like language and temperament."
Wes Bellmore, spokesman for the Edmonton Police Service, said
cops would have laid charges after the brawl but were not asked
"With evidence of an assault it wouldn't have mattered if it was
sports-related or not. Baseball is a non-contact sport," Bellmore
The Cuban team left Edmonton yesterday morning, minus two
players who defected.
Ron Hayter, tournament spokesman, said they weren't required
under International Baseball Federation regulations to provide
police at the tournament.
"There were no police at the field, we are not required to," Hayter
said. "But we've never had an incident like this before."
Hayter added tournament director and IBF member Gaston
Panaye would seek further penalties for both teams during an
executive committee meeting later this month.
The IBF technical committee suspended both team coaches and a
Cuban player after the incident.
Robinson said it was only Cuban players that used bats in the
"The Australian coach had his hand bitten, a boy had his hand
badly bruised after protecting his head from a bat and another boy
has a black eye," Robinson said.
"Some of the Cubans got hit too but they were the only ones with